Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Blessed Day - from Michael

Today we went to Sarnath. In Sarnath is a temple where it is said that the Buddha gave his first sermon. Also at this temple, kept blocked by two buddhist monks, stands a shrine with the relics (pearl-like remains left by a saint after cremation) of the Buddha himself.

Within the temple I caught eyes with one of the monks. I felt there was a recognition, or knowing, between us and we acknowledged each other by nodding our heads. The energy of the temple was wonderful, so I decided to purchase a mala (a beaded necklace used in prayers - similar to rosary beads) from this temple. I did just that. Immediately, the monk called me over and blessed my mala through the shrine, touching them to the relic container. I put the beads over my neck and felt blissful energy around my heart. This started something and my mom and Gopal also purchased malas for the monk to bless, which he was kind enough to do.

After the temple visit, we stopped to purchase some beautiful silks.

Then we went to the archaeological site of king Aroskos (275 B.C., if I remember correctly) where it is said that the Buddha walked and meditated. I took the opportunity to meditate on these grounds and, I have to say, it was one of the sweetest meditations I've had since I started over 2 years ago.

From there we went to the museum across the street.

Here's the best part: Craig wanted to get some mala beads from the temple, as well, but missed his chance on our first visit. So, we went back. I went with Gopal to watch him get his hair cut at the local barber shop. Remember the monk, well he remembered my mom and Craig and took them back behind the fence of the shrine!!! They got to walk around it AND touch the buddha's relic container. This is a big deal!! We were told it only happens twice a year (this was not one of those times) and no other visitors that we know of were invited.

Also, and this is the biggest blessing for me, the monk - whose name turns out to be Sunarada - gave my mom his card. He requested she give it to me and asked that I keep in touch with him. I walked back and gave him my card, as well. This is a blessed connection.

Another exciting progression is Arleta finally arrived in New Delhi. She arrived about 3 hours delayed. Her luggage has yet to be located, but she is safe and HERE.

2 comments:

Alison said...

My goodness, that is fantastic. So happy for you. Glad that Arleta arrived safe and sound.

Have a beautiful time. xoxo

Unknown said...

Wow! That an amazing experience. I'm glad to hear that you are safe and having such a good time.