Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Wednesday - Haridwar


We left Delhi early Monday morning and drove to Haridwar - one of the holiest cities along the Ganga River. Haridwar means Gateway of the Gods. (On your left is Krishna).

Haridwar is closer to the mountains, so the water is cleaner. I stuck my feet in as they say it's supposed to wash away your sins. Well, my feet are sin-free anyway.

After spending the night in Haridwar, Arleta, Gopal and I went to Rishikesh (the home of yoga and many ashrams) then proceeded up a very windy, mountainous road to...




...the lovely mountain town of Mussouri. Here is a picture of Gopal and Arleta with the Himalays in the background. Mussouri was quite nice and extremely cold. The hotel provided a room heater - which did not help. I have been fighting a sinus cold since last Sunday, plus I didn't think we'd all survive a night of freezing, so we headed back to Haridwar.

Gopal and I are more than ret' to come home. It's been fun. I want to take a hot bath, enjoy a hamburger, speak English, pet my cat, and not have to smell the continuous aromas of feces, urine and diesel exhaust.

2 comments:

Adventure in India said...

We have been "sick" ever since we got home. Finally, my nasal deluge has abated. Craig was nauseated and wiped out all day Sunday. Of course, a lot of other people here, including your sister, have also been sick.
Do everything you can to keep your immune system healthy !!

Alison said...

Dung, urine and diesel fuel. Mmm lovely.

Be glad to see you when you return home Michael and Arleta.